[SECC] NAQP Names

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:04:24 -0400

In my opinion, that is a nice gimmick if there is a lot of interest like
there was in January for the Fla election mess.  If we just pick some odd
names and use them, all we will do is decrease our scores.  I should know:
In one NAQP CW, I operated W4AN and unwisely used the name JOHN.  I got many,
many requests for repeats and finally figured out that a lot of the
backscatter were suddenly afraid they had W4AU JOHN in VA and not W4AN JOHN
(BILL) in GA.  Bill suggested that I should use Bill and I should have
listened to him.  I know that K4OJ uses a different screwy name in every
NAQP, so we have come to expect that, but for most of us, we will maximize
our scores by using our expected names.  If we have another olympics or other
such event of great interest, we might consider a one-time change, but
otherwise I don't recommend it.  It always slows me up (a tiny bit) when the
Talking Eds group in WA change all their names to ED for a contest too.

Only my opinion.  73, John, K4BAI.