[SECC] GQP - K5OT/M

Larry Hammel K5OT k5ot@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:34:12 -0400

What a blast!

My goals going into the weekend was to:
 a.  Get some of the northern counties represented.
 b.  See some areas of Georgia that I haven't traveled.
 c.  Have fun.

I can say that I am definitely 'three for three'!

My amazing wife Leona volunteered to drive on Saturday, so we both enjoyed
the sights that day.  And although she threatened to stop at every antique
shop and roadside stand along the way, we kept going.  I'm afraid we'll have
to retrace our route (without the radio) to give her equal time.  She's a
codeless Tech (K5OTX) and didn't operate.  Am I still mobile/single-op? Or
multi/assisted due to the driving support? I don't really think we need
another category, hi!

I did the solo run on Sunday and managed to complete all 28 counties in my
original plan.  Pulled into the last one with 15 minutes to go ... that's
calling it pretty close!  Like the NJ4U guys, I stayed mostly on 40 & 20 CW
and couldn't get much action on SSB.  With only minutes to spend in each
county, you have to make some tough decisions about band changes and when to
move on down the road.

Almost 15% of my QSO's were with DX stations ... most of the same list that
Johnny & Neal summarized.  I QSY'd to phone for LY3BA, M0SDX and a few
others, but mostly stuck to CW due to the nice rates and mode preference.
Loud EU in the mobile is not something I usually heard in Texas ...
especially on 40M!  A real treat.

My rig is a ICOM 706MkIIG at 100W into a High Sierra antenna on the truck.
It's a great combination ... I am a big supporter of this antenna - it is
built well and operates flawlessly.

Thanks for the in-state and out-of-state QSO's.  I'm already looking forward
to next year.

73,
Larry  K5OT

   80CW        2           2          4       0
   40CW      333         331        662      14
   20CW      379         377        754      27
   20SSB      25          25         25       4
   15CW        2           2          4       0

 Totals      741         737       1449      45

                     Claimed Score = 65,205 points.