[SECC] GQP Revision

Thom tds59@voyager.net
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:44:18 -0400

Hey....I have GOT to answer this great reply, along with a request for info!

I agree that stereotypical names should be avoided, as I have seen in many
replies concerning this thread, if only to give all involved a chance to be
even more creative.  The "Shrimp Boats Are A Comin'" type of theme seems to
be at least one interesting route to explore, however....but no matter what,
should the states band together any kind of a massive party such as this
could not go until 2003 at the earliest due to scheduling, promotions,
seeking dates and the like....

One view I would like to take of QSO Parties would be to encourage more
regional multi-state events such as this idea (I'll note more a bit further
on). The benefits would be twofold:
* Compressing the contest calendar to avoid more major events such as FD,
the WPX gatherings, IOTA, etc. while seeking out better operating seasons.
* More contacts, more contacts, more contacts (and in these days of logging
software, separating the QSOs should not be too much of a hassle)!

Now, my request: Using W3KM's web page as a guide (he has a free logging
program that is plain fabulous for state QSO parties and contests) and
adding my notes from other contest related web pages I have found a total of
34 states that have active QSO parties as of this date.  Anyone out there
have info on any others?

I ask because those that do not (or no info is available) include New York,
South Carolina, the Four Corners (AZ/NM/UT/CO), the Iowa/Missouri/Arkansas
spot on the Mississippi River, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi
and the Idaho/Montana/Wyoming group.  Surely some of these states have QSO
parties....I think! New York is the one of this pack that is most
inexplicable and two of these - MS and SC - would seem to be natural
additions for, say, a Costal QSO Party (unless SC joins up with NC for a
Carolina QSO Party, another natural there). The states on the Four Corners
would make for a great QSO gathering themselves, while ID/MT/WY and the
Dakotas could become a Great North Plains Party.

OK, let's see where this entire madness goes.....GRIN....your turn one and
all to chat!!
Thom  N8DXR.