[SECC] Amps

AB4RU@aol.com AB4RU@aol.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:42:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/01 11:44:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jpryor@arches.uga.edu writes:

> I'm having some electrical work done at the house and thought I would get
>  the electrician to run a 220V line to the shack, for an amplifier when I
>  add one.  How many amps should the 220V line be?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  - Jay, K4OGG

Hi Jay,
You can buy an aluminum 3 conductor cable, wrapped in a sheath, used for
electrical appliance service in homes and is cheaper than copper. A #6 AWG is
common and should be good for about 40 amps. Run that to your shack and split
off that with a fuse box with smaller gauge wire if necessary. That will keep
the voltage drop minimal if you have a long run. Use Nolox on the connections
to avoid corrosion, common with the use of aluminum wire.

Ron