[SECC] CW SS

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Tue, 1 May 2001 09:56:21 -0400

> Congrats Gary, John and the crew at W4WA.   SS CW hardware takes alot of
> effort to bring home..Any tips or secrets you guys want to share?
>
> Greg   K4NO

----------------

A couple notes on QRP contesting in SS (also applies to low power and
antenna-chellenged stations):

1.  Assume that you are loud -- Propagation is a great equalizer; you
WILL be loud somewhere!  If the big guns are S9+40, 5 watts will still be
well over S9.

2.  Be smart with S&P -- Fast S&P can create rates close to a decent run.
Call the loud stations first, especially loud "A" stations, because it
means propagation is good.  But loud stations attract callers, so don't
waste time in a big pileup.  In the first few hours, I call once and move
on if he comes back to someone else.  Later, as you work through the
masses, don't pass up the weak stations.  They might be also be QRP or
antenna-limited, with good ears and anxious for your QSO.

3.  Watch for openings to run -- Jump in and call CQ.  SO2R contantly
creates open frequencies as guys change bands.  Last year, there were times
when 40 through 10 were all open and the crowds spread out.  Many casual
ops never call CQ; you will only work them by running when you can.  I got
a good spot to run last year at 0000-0100 Sunday evening and had my 2nd
best hour of the contest!  Other times, I got a freq only long enough for
two or three QSOs.  Take what you can get, then move on!

4.  QRP is perfect training for SO2R -- I didn't use it a lot last fall,
'cause it was new for me.  Mostly, I used the 2nd radio to help decide
when to change bands or to monitor a pileup on a rare section.  (Helped me
get a QRP sweep!)

5.  Don't neglect the low bands -- Although more common in DX contests,
too many QRP and low power ops think it's harder to get out on the low
bands.  Not true.  80 has always been productive for my QRP SS efforts,
even when I lived out in Colorado, much farther from major population
centers. Out to one-hop you will be nicely competitive as long you have a
decent antenna.  Plus, more time on the low bands means you're saving
off time for the doldrums of Sunday afternoon!

6.  KYBITC [Keep Your Butt In The Chair] -- When rates are slow or you
get frustrated, it's easy to lose intensity.  Save the relaxation for off
times!

Those are my thoughts; what are the tricks for high power and high rates?

73, Gary
K9AY