[SECC] SS Tips

Gary Breed gabnjb@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:04:53 -0500

> I would be interested in seeing SS tips from you all.  Might help some of
> our membership this weekend.

---
My experience is almost all QRP, but my suggestions should apply to a lot
of low power ops as well.

1.  There are no style points for using all bands.  40 and 20 are the main
bands. Period. Sure, 20 is frustrating on Saturday, but Sunday morning
can be great.

2.  80 provides good action for short periods of time. 15 and 10 can be
good multiplier bands. Monitor with the 2nd radio or do quick scans if
you use one radio.  Forget 160 unless you need the SO2R practice.

3.  QRP and LP can get a CQ frequency on a less crowded band; try it
once in a while but get out quickly if it's not working.  I consider a run
of five a success.

4.  If you make 1000 QSOs, 1 multiplier is worth about 12 QSOs.  If you
make 500 QSOs, a mult is only worth 6 QSOs -- Gauge your time in a
pileup accordingly.  (Sweepstakes has been won without a sweep!)

4a.  Most rare multipliers will happen without special effort.  By
mid-morning
Sunday, I had all but one mult for last year's QRP sweep.  Luck happens.

5.  Contrary to K4OGG's comment, I have had some very good rates at
about 22-2300Z Sunday. Save a couple 1/2-hour slots for later, maybe
0100-0130 and 0200-0230.

6.  Check the weather map.  Extremely nice weather in the Upper Midwest
will make Sunday afternoon even slower!

73, Gary
K9AY