[SECC] SS Tips

W4OC@aol.com W4OC@aol.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:43:06 EST

to N4SB - yes, SC will be on for the CW  SS. i will be SO LP.

this is one of my favorite contests. a small station with good operating
strategy can do very well. tribander / wires can have lots of fun and be
competetive.

20 and 40 are the most important bands from the southeast. with low power, 80
can be good as well. the extra class portions of the bands are sometimes less
crowded than above 025, and can be an advantage for running. i have never had
great success running on 15 or 10 on CW. i have picked up a few novice and
tech Q's on 10 on sunday afternoon.

the biggest challenge in SS CW is keeping your lowest rate hours from killing
your score. i will not take a break usually before 0900 Z unless the rate
goes far below what i have set for my average rate goal. your rate can and
will go down on sunday. sunday evenings have been productive for me in the
past.

i will share breakdown info from past years if wanted.

read all of the stuff on contesting.com about SS. it will give you ideas.
read W4AN's two radio article as well.

if you are only going to be on for a short period, please find as many club
members as possible. this helps not only each station, but the club score as
well.

have fun and hope to cu this weekend!

73

don