[SECC] ARRL SS CW W4AN SO HP (fwd)

Gary Breed gabnjb@earthlink.net
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:50:00 -0500

Comparisons and contrasts are part of the fun...

> Call: W4AN
> Class: SO HP
> Operating Time (hrs): 24

Call:  K9AY
Class: SO QRP
Operating Time (hrs): 24

> Summary (W4AN):
>  Band     QSOs
> --------------------
>   160:      0
>    80:    117    8%
>    40:    681    48%
>    20:    511    36%
>    15:     69    5%
>    10:     44    3%
> -------------------------------
> Total:   1422 x     80  =  227,520

Summary (K9AY):
Band     QSOs
------------------
160:     0
80:    71    9%
40:    312    42%
20:    180    24%
15:    99    13%
10:    88    12%
----------------------------------
Total:    750 x 79 = 118,500

Despite some evidence of the conventional wisdom that the higher bands
favor QRP, 40 and 80 were just as important for my QRP as for Bill's HP.

> Comments:
> First CW SS from Georgia since 1993 and the first I've ever done from my
> station.  Nothing has changed in 8 years.  I operated the same contest I
> operated in 93 working some different callsigns and more QRPers.

In 2000, there were more QRP entries than HP!  "U" was big this year.

> Sweep was had at 0530Z.  0410Z if you don't count WP3R.

WP3R was my first QSO! And I had 73 mults by 0530Z.   First two hours, I
concentrated on the mults because 10M was loaded with 'em -- PR, PAC, VI,
YT, AK, VE234567, ND. This isn't a bad idea for QRP 'cause it's hard to
get rate while the HP SO2R guys are working each other with S9 +100 signals.

>  TRLog reports 240 2nd radio QSOs and 483 band changes.
>  42 in the first 2 hours!  That was fun.

I don't have enough antennas for effective SO2R on the high bands, but
it was useful for 80/40 or 40/HighBands. I have not yet split my frontal
lobe, so I only made about 15 "real" 2nd radio QSOs (change bands for
one QSO). The biggest value was using the 2nd radio to plan and execute
my 98 band changes.

73, Gary
K9AY