[SECC] Last Call for DX Contest QTH for CQ WW CW Contest

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1@yahoo.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:33:52 -0800 (PST)

Here is something from the Amateur Radio Newsline awhile back that
tells the story :

KV4FZ LICENSE RENEWAL DESIGNATED FOR HEARING

An amateur radio operator once considered a hero is now a step
closer to losing his license. The FCC has ordered a license
renewal hearing for Herbert L. Schoenbohm, KV4FZ.
In 1992, Schoenbohm was convicted in U.S. District Court of
fraudulent use of a counterfeit long distance telephone access
device. Now, the Commission says that conviction is relevant to
evaluating whether Schoenbohm will comply with FCC rules governing
amateur radio.

The Commission says it appears Schoenbohm lacks the requisite
qualifications to have his Extra class amateur radio license
renewed. Schoenbom, who lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands, says he
will prevail in court.

In addition to house arrest and two years probation, Schoenbom
was ordered to pay a $5000 fine. He says the FCC was asked to
hold the license renewal hearing by people who want him off the
air.

The next step is for an FCC Administrative Law Judge to set a
hearing date. No word yet on exactly when that will happen.
Herbert Schoenbohm is no stranger to controversy. Fifteen
years ago, he took on rich yacht owners who paid for radio
callsigns and operated illegally while in the Caribbean.
Schoenbohm got the FCC to declare that people operating from U.S.
flagged vessels must hold valid amateur licenses and are subject
to FCC rules. That victory made him a hero to hams worldwide.
More recently, he founded the controversial Better Amateur
Radio Federation. Now, the man other hams once looked up to has
to prove to the government that renewing his license will serve
the public interest. More on this story in future Newsline
reports.

I also remember there being a website that went into more detail about
the whole story but can't remember the URL....

                             Jeff KU8E