[SECC] CQWW

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:12:51 +0000

Well, this was one for the books. Terrible propagation, dead bands,
and all.

Plus, I apparently took a hit on the logging computer about 8 or so
Sat evening. Took out MB, CPU, Comm2 and 256K of ram, but fortunately,
left the HD OK.

Just bought parts to rebuild it this morning. Can't give an exact
score, but it was around 220-230K when disaster hit. Crazy thing about
it is while it was raining, no lightning anywhere near. Modem was
unplugged.

Worst part was that I had just begun a wild run on JAs on 15. First
time I could do a run. Up till then, it was S&M.

But, that new design on 10 really works ( 5 elements on a 28' boom )
and the 15 ( same design ) was pumping hard. A tribander ( actually a
TH-11 ) on 20 is not the way to go. The new homebrew 40 rotatable
dipole worked very well. Couple of very nice LP Qs early Sat
afternoon. 1 VK and another something from that area.

And that new Hy-Gain 5 element 20 with a 57' boom is still sitting in
the garage unopened!

See you this weekend for the ARRL 10. Hope to find time to build a
base tuner for the 160. If so, will fly a half wave with a balloon,
and perhaps use the 80 meter ant as an aux.

73
Ed