[SECC] ARRL SS SSB AA4LR SO LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:12:02 -0500

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:      0
   80:     85
   40:    156
   20:    223
   15:    127
   10:     59
-------------------------------
Total:    650 x     79  =  102,700

Club: SECC

Comments:

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S running 100 watts, AT-250
K1KP-style homebrew voice keyer (1 message)
Heil BM-10

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S @ 49.5' (10-20m)
1/4 wave sloper @ 40' (40m)
105' doublet @ 35' (80m)

Comments:
This was my first SS Phone with real antennas in six years. I had waited
a long
time for this moment.

Goal was to break the 1000 Q barrier. Got off to a great start. First
four
hours netted nearly 200 Qs (and would have had more if not for an
unscheduled
20-minute off period -- which unfortunately counts as on-time) By 0300z,
however, the rate had died way off as I hit the low bands. Finished the
first
12 hours with 450 Q. I had hoped for 600.

After a 3 hour nap, back at the radio to the considerably lower Sunday
rates.
Did OK on the high bands. Had to take 2 hours off to babysit my sick 5
year old
so my wife could go to church. Just after 2205z, I decided to bag the
effort.
It was clear I wasn't coming near my goal, and I had sickness in the
family to
take care of.

Antennas did OK. The A3S really makes a huge difference compared to the
old
R7000 vertical. The 40m sloper was OK, but doesn't really cut it with all
the
Region 1 QRM. The 80m doublet just isn't that effective unless the band
is
really quiet -- it's too doggone low.

I can't see how I did phone contests without a voice keyer to call CQ.
Before,
I'd be hoarse after just a couple of hours. As it was, I could have gone
the
full 24 and only been a little scratchy.

Plenty of improvements to make for next year.

Never heard NWT/YU, although I looked for one on Sunday. Probably would
have found him if I stayed on the air longer.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about Georgia being hard to find.
Had most of my problem trying to correct my check to 75. Many folks kept
hearing "35" for some reason. Maybe I just sound old....

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901