[SECC] SS Phone Thoughts

Lee Hiers aa4ga@contesting.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:02:58 -0500

On 27 Nov 2001, at 10:38, Bill Coleman wrote:

> * 40m sloper just does not cut it when the band is full of region 1
> QRM. Thinking seriously of the 40m option for the A3S. It would buy me
> another 10 feet, and allow me to rotate the dipole.
>
> * 80m dipole at 35' feet is too low. No one could hear me well. Never
> did get responses to CQs on this band.

I don't know how high your A3 is, but I've heard those add-on kits
are pretty lossy...a better bet may be to put the 40m dipole at 35'
horizontal...I think that would be a good SS antenna.

80m with low supports is a problem...you could try the sloper there I
guess, it should be better than the low dipole - at least farther
out.  and you may want to leave your 40m sloper if it works good as a
DX antenna...it would do better there than a low dipole.

You could also try shunt-feeding your tower on 80 in lieu of the
sloper.

73 de Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA