[SECC] Band plans

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:25:42 -0400

On 10/19/01 9:11 AM, David L. Thompson at thompson@mindspring.com wrote:

>CQ and Bob Cox, K3EST Director of Contests have no plans to get into band
>plans.  This means that if you can transmit on a frequency
>and the mode is not restricted then its valid.  This applies to all contests
>including the upcoming CQ WW SSB.
>Contact Bob if you want to discuss the situation.

You know, David, it's not CQ you have to worry about. It's how
Hollingsworth is going to react to all the reports of stations "operating
contrary to the bandplan."

If hams get fined for this during the contest (and I have no doubt there
will be lots of operating SSB below 1843 kHz by US stations), then
suddenly it will mean that bandplans have the force of regulation.

I personally will avoid CQing below 1843 kHz on SSB.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901