[SECC] Starting Band

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:01:48 -0500

On 10/30/01 9:37 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@arches.uga.edu wrote:

>So what's the prevailing thought about the starting band for CWSS?

HP or LP? On HP, go for 10m -- it's the conventional wisdom of starting
on the highest open band. That's where a lot of activity will be.

For Low-Power, in the first 30 minutes, you're going to have a hard time
making it through the wall of high-power stations on 10m, if 10m is open.
However, it's a great time to go to 20m and work a lot of stations, since
it isn't too crowded for a LP station to be effective.

Worked for me in the last couple of Phone SS. (Unfortunately, I wasn't
able to give them a full-time effort)

>Maybe CQ on 20M with R1 and look around with R2 on 10M/15M?  Or start CQing
>on 15M while looking on 10M?

Good plan. Whereever you can find rate is good.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901