[SECC] Tower is UP!

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 00:21:08 -0400

Well, after over two months of work, my tower and antenna installation is
complete. Gary, K9AY came over this morning and helped me out big time.
Especially after I wimped out over climbing to the tippy-top of the tower
to install the antenna. With Gary's help, we got the A3S up, the rotator
installed, the cables run, and W4EA's gin pole back down.

Tower is 44' high bracketed at 26 and 18 feet, with a mast that is just
barely below 50'. The antenna is right around 49'. I also have a 125'
doublet hanging off to the southwest at the 40 foot level.

I still have more antenna work to do -- the doublet needs to be re-hung
at the far end, and there's a new remote balun in the works. I also plan
to shunt feed the tower for 80m, and an inverted L for 160m. I'm
considering a 40m sloper as well.

It's so nice to have something resembling a "real" antenna. A big thank
you to Gary for his help and the donation of the mast, to Dan, W4EA for
his help and the loan of his monster gin pole, and to Mike, W7OT, who
really pushed me to erect the tower.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901