[SECC] Re: K9AY Sprint

John T. Laney, III k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 22:58:00 -0400

Hello guys:  Worked all ten members of the Kudzu team on at least one
band, thanks.  Here is the bad news:  319 x 44 = 14,036.  Didn't come
close to my goal of 350 (set by W4AN after I told him 325).

Operated from the QTH of W8JI.  Many thanks, Tom.  Seemed on track for
the first half of the contest, but rates dropped the last half.
Probably went to 40 and to 80 too soon.  Didn't have SO2R this time, so
very few band changes.  QRN was terrible, but Tom has a great receiving
antenna set-up.  He thought I would need it very little and then only on
80, but I used it almost exclusively on 80, frequently on 40, and
sometimes on 20.  It is directional, so I was able to copy some other
directions without having to swing the rotating tower which contains his
monobanders for 20 and 40.  Felt strong.  Was more likely to stay around
if I didn't clearly hear the station's call being answered, almost
assuming it would be me.  That isn't the asusmption from home.  Also,
was more likely to CQ until I got an answer, instead of quickly moving
on like I would have at home if no one answers after a couple of calls.
Not sure whether that was a plus or a minus overall.

Only mult heard and not worked was K3JT in WV.  Couldn't get in sync to
work Terry.  He was sending his call at the end of every exchange,
whether he was to keep the frequency or not, so I called out of turn to
no avail.  (Must confess to doing the same thing several times by
pushing the wrong key on the computer using NA.)

Lots of fun, but not sure the 21 QSO increase over last year's Sept NA
Sprint CW score from home justifies a trip out of town.

Nevertheless, many thanks to W8JI and his XYL for their FB hospitality.

73,

John, K4BAI.