[SECC] SECC Team for TQP - Contests - Avoid QRM to nets

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:45:30 -0400

Hello all:

Is anyone else interested in entering a SECC team in the Tenn QSO Party
this Sunday?  It runs from 18Z Sunday afternoon until 01Z Sunday night.
There is a competition for out-of-state teams from 2 to 5 members.  They
do not need to be pre-registered.

I'd like to see us support the TCG in their state effort, as many of
them do support us.  If anyone is interested in joining the SECC team,
please let me know.  I doubt we will get more than five, but, if so, we
will have two teams. I think K2UFT and I were a SECC team last year or
the year before.

I have heard from Pat, W4OQG, that he will be QRV mobile on CW and a YL
with him (I forgot the call, maybe WB4HDD?) will be QRV on SSB in the
western counties of Tennessee.  There are bonus points for working K4TCG
they always are very QRV with that call.  My experience has been that
you can work them on 40 CW and SSB from the beginning of the contest to
the end.  Some of them can be worked on CW on the higher bands, even
though signals may be weak from TN to GA.  And there will be some big,
high power stations that can be worked on SSB (or CW) on any of the
bands, including ten meters.

I hope there will be other mobiles active as well.  There are some
counties in TN that I have never confirmed.

Get complete info and rules at:
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/tqp01rules.html.
I have TQP on my NA logging program.

By the way, there are a lot of contests this weekend:

A quick summary:

Scandinavian Activity Contest CW (SAC):  12Z Sat to 12Z Sun, send
RST+serial #.  NA covers this also.

Washington Salmon Run.  16Z Sat to 07Z Sunday plus 16Z through 24Z
Sunday.
Send RST and State.  NA covers this (but rules may have changed
somewhat).

2001 QRP Afield.  17Z Sat to 17Z Sun.  8 hours maximum.  QRP contest.
Encourages portable type operation from non-commercial means.
Exchange:  RST, Name, SPC, Power or NE QRP Club #.  All modes.  Bonus
for working WQ1RP.

There is also an Air Force Contest this weekend.  I didn't copy the
rules, but, if you work someone and you were never in the AF, you send
sig report and 01.  If you were in the AF, I think you send signal
report and the year you were first in the AF (last two digits).

Of course, the NA Sprint SSB contest in Saturday (00 to 04Z Sunday).
Exchange QSO #, Name and SPC.  QSY 5 khz after CQ and 1 khz after
answering someone and not getting another call on that freq.  Or
something like that.

A word of caution, particularly in regard to NA Sprint with its QSY
rule.  There are emergency and health and welfare nets in operation.  I
didn't preserve the frequencies, but the only ones I saw were on 20
SSB.  Seems like 14220 and two frequencies above 14300, but I am not
sure.  Be very careful not to QRM such a net.  Be much more willing to
QSY upon request even though you intended to use a frequency for only a
minute or two.  We could get some real bad publicity for contests if we
QRM these welfare/emergency nets.

73,

John, K4BAI.