[SECC] Interesting Idea Dept

Penn McClatchey Penn McClatchey" <pmm@saf.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:06:29 -0400

Hi Guys,

There are two technologies in use: IRLP and iLINK.  IRLP is
preferred if it is available in my opinion, but iLINK will
probably work as well.  The nice thing about IRLP is that most
of you will simply use your VHF/UHF radio on your
local repeater to access it.  No computer is required except
at the "node" which is usually a repeater.

IRLP can either be used point-to-point or you can connect
the "node" to a "Reflector."  See the FAQ and "IRLP Guidelines" at
the bottom of the page http://www.irlp.net

IRLP is available on 146.82/224.34/444.825 on the ARC machines.
Also on 443.65 and 146.775 along with various other machines around
the SE that you can see at http://status.irlp.net  Sort by State or Country
to see what's what.  Most of these systems are member supported,
but Alan, N1IP, runs a totally open node on 443.65.

I think the idea of a regional net is best handled on a Reflector
that can handle dozens of nodes at once.  Great idea for bringing
you guys all together.  Dick, K2UFT, or me could easily
demonstrate this in the Atlanta area if you like.

73,

Penn
K4PE