[SECC] KS4Q Cluster Update

Ernie Ernie" <ks4q@zingleman.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:13:23 -0400

All,

I thought I would give everyone an update on the cluster setup.  Those of
you that are regular users have already heard some of this.

I've opened up the cluster to worldwide spots.  If you don't want worldwide
spots you can personally command the cluster to send you what you want.  I
can send a copy of the manual by email to anyone that wants it.  The Flying
horse callbook is on line as well.  The command is 'sh/ham oh2bh' for
example.

The address remains ks4q.dns2go.com   I'm evaluating a new DSL provider to
see how stable every thing is.  This provider does give a static IP which
should keep folks connected on telnet for a very long time.

On the RF side, many are staying connected for days at a time.  The New TNCs
and new or newer radios on Sawnee Mtn are working very well.  A major
improvement resulted when I put new emproms into the TNCs on Sawnee and
directly networked the TNC serial ports to each other.  This allowed us to
do away with the computer up there and the JNOS program that had a memory
leak (which required almost daily rebooting.)

If you don't have DSL or cable modem, and want to connect to the cluster on
the RF side the coverage is great.  I've got folks connecting from
Douglasville to Athens and Monroe, GA. Some are connecting from Cartersville
and south of Atlanta as well.

If you don't have a TNC you might want to know that MFJ is still making a
model with 2400 bps modem.  You can get one as inexpensively as $129.95
directly from MFJ at
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1270BT  These are not
available from HRO, AES or other dealers.

Two Meter rigs (that cover only two meters and not 440 MHz ) have gotten
very inexpensive.  A brand new Icom IC-2100H was $129.95 and is now $119.95
from some suppliers.

Connection instructions are available on the SEDXC web site:  www.sedxc.org

Email me if you have any questions.  The current effects of the recent solar
flare should start to really let up tomorrow.  See you on the bands.

Regards,

Ernie KS4Q