[SECC] KU8E - Ohio QSO Party SOLP

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

                    2002 Ohio QSO Party

Call: KU8E
Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

 Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs
--------------------
   80:   18     11
   40:  105     78
   20:   36     20
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  159    109  CW Mults = 68  Ph Mults = 57  Total Score = 53,375

Great job by the Ohio guys !!! Good activity and lots of mobiles to
chase around. It was interesting to do this contest after all my
involvement in reviving it 4 years ago and running it the past 3 years.
The propagation is quite different in GA than OH... those mobile
stations that were skipping over me in Ohio were sometimes 20 over S9 ,
on both 40 and 20 meters on Saturday evening. But on the other hand it
was a struggle at times to work guys on 40 meters during the day
because I was maybe just alittle too far away from OH.

Some observations from a 1st time out-of-state participant :

It would be nice that in the future OQP's that the rovers would spend
more time in some of the counties they are traveling through.
I know from being a rover in the past that the whole thrill of doing
this is the "rush" of having big pileups when you get to a new county.
It was frustrating that I missed so many "easy" counties because either
they had stations who didn't operate CW OR when the rovers reached that
county they did not have enough time to cover both modes because the
rate was too good on CW. That makes it almost impossible to get a
"clean sweep". Many of the rovers were very good about QSYing , but
it's not right to ask them to QSY when they have a pile-up going.
By the time I would go back and ask for a QSY they were already in a
new county... Some of the rovers - NY4N and WT9U for example, I never
heard on SSB at all. Make it more fun for the out-of-state participants
and the activity will skyrocket....

                    73's Jeff  KU8E (/4)