[SECC] 160 Half Time

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an@CONTESTING.COM
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:00:44 -0500 (EST)

Been working on an internet connection to my station (broadband) all
through microwave links back to my ISP in Alpharetta.  I'm now doing it
and trying to do the remote control over the internet rather than dial-up
modem.  So far we've had lots of problems with dropped packets making the
audio basically unreadable.  So, I only worked a couple of guys.  N2NT and
NO2R and then I gave up.  Maybe I'll have time tonight to get on with a
better link.  I'm right now on top of Burnt Mountain logged in to my unix
box in Alpharetta which spans 3 wireless links and over 30 miles.
Gettting 1.5Mbps in ping-fill tests back to Alpharetta.  Pretty
cool.  Burnt Mountain is covered in fallen ice.  The tower I just climbed
still had a few pieces of about 2" radial ice on it and the ground was
full of bumps from the ice falling on it.

Link looks like this:

Akorn --500yard---> 200'tower ---5miles--> Sawnee mtn---

---24m---> Burnt Mtn -----8 miles ---> W4AN

This is all done on 2.4Ghz except for the last link which is 900Mhz due to
non line of site (barely).

Anyway...  I should be able to make some QSOs remotely when I get the
station QRV.  In addition, I can let other SECC members make QSOs via my
station remotely.  Well, that is if I were a nice guy.  :)

The other idea I have is putting up a flat top 80M dipole here at Burnt
Mountain between two towers which would put the antenna up 150' at least
looking down over a 2000' drop off.  Might be interesting to see how that
plays.

73

Bill