[SECC] ARRL 160 - K4BAI

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:52:55 -0500

Time was limited.  Took Weesie to see the new James Bond film Friday
night.  7 PM movie was really a sneak preview for something else so we
had to wait for the 7:45 showing.  Then Saturday night, to dinner with
Weesie and a cousin and to "Fosse" at our Rivercenter.  So, I missed
prime operating time both nights.

Nevertheless, the band was very quiet both nights and I think I got out
better than I ever have with my MP, Alpha 78, and 80 meter inverted vee
dipole fed as if it were an end fed random wire through a big MFJ tuner
I bought in 1981.

Maybe it is a function of the declining sunspot cycle, but for US and
Canada and Caribbean, I have never done so well.  I did hear and call a
DF2, a G3, and SP2FAX, but not very seriously.  Did work KH6ND with no
problem.  Still need a KL7.  Did hear stations calling and working NL7Z,
but couldn't hear him.  VE7SL answered my CQ and that is the first time
ever on 160.  Usually I have to struggle through some big pile up if I
get a VE7 at all.

Worked all continental US sections except SF, NV, and ND.  Also missed
NL, MB, AB and NWT/YT/NU.  And missed KP4.

Slightly fewer QSOs than last year, but more mults, and a higher score.

Only DX mults were FM5GU, ZF2NT and ZF2AH, and P40TA.  It was good to
work Herb, ex KV4FZ, again QRV with his new call NP2MJ.

A lot of QRP stations were having fun.  I don't know about whether
activity was down as Mike suggested or not, since I missed the peak
times both nights.  I would agree that it seemed to be down during the
early and late hours that I was able to be QRV.

Last year:  516 x 62 = 64,728.

This year:  484 x 74 = 72,520.

Hope everyone has a good week.  Please keep my travels in your prayers.
Look forward to working everyone this week from Barbados and on both
modes in ARRL 10 M next weekend.

73,

John, K4BAI.