[SECC] CQWW SSB AA4LR SOAB LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:15:41 -0500

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:    3     2        3
   20:   79    18       43
   15:  100    22       59
   10:   89    20       39
------------------------------

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100
Heil BM-10 headset
K1KP-style single-message voice keyer

Antennas:
A3S at 49.5' (20,15,10m)
40m 1/4wave sloper at 40' (40m)

Comments:

First contest to test out my K2/100. I had just built the KPA100 option
earlier in the month. I was astounded at how easily it went together, and
it came up flawlessly. The breaking in was a good idea, however.

Just a few hours here and there. Would have operated quite a bit more
Saturday afternoon, but kept having trouble with the K2/100! It would be
working great, then I'd go to change bands or to change the noise blanker
setting, and I would be greeted with INFO 080. Elecraft owners know that
this means that the main microprocessor can't talk to one of the other
microprocessors in the box. (In my unit, there are six microprocessors!)
Stopped operating to tear into the unit and try to find the problem.

K2 receiver is just great. When you tune away from those big signals,
they just disappear. No sparkle heard on any band.

A week later, I determined that the intermittant INFO 080 problem was due
to a bit of solder flux between two pins connecting to the KAF2 AF Filter
/ Clock option board.  Even Gary at Elecraft Support was surprised I
tracked it down.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901