[SECC] Southern Sprint Coalition Teams (final)

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an@CONTESTING.COM
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:29:05 -0500 (EST)

Note:  I swapped W9WI and K4NO.  Doug is going to W4CAT and will have a
bigger station and amp.  This is our final breakdown.

Reminder:  WPX RTTY is this weekend, so please use the extra band if you
can.

Suggestions:  If you start on 40, you should consider staying on 20 very
late.  I'm generally there with one radio well past 0230Z.  Don't freak
out if you feel like the rate is too slow.  It will be slow on 40 in hour
#3 if you dive back there too soon.  FWIW, I don't think starting on 40 is
a good thing for anyone that starts on 40 at this point in the cycle.  It
sure helps me on 20 with reduced competition for the 6' & 7's.

Consider pointing your tribanders straight south late on 20 meters.  Two
reasons:  Back scatter QSO's and mults.

I plan on being on 80M around 0230Z.  Hope some of you will be there
too.  Kind of seems silly for us to spend 2.5 hours on 20 meters and only
1.0 on 80 with so many of us QRV.  I will often times go back to 40 the
last 10 minutes of the contest with very good success.

N5TJ taught me this one many years ago...  If you find someone you need to
work, if you have time hit VFO-B and look for someone else.  Keep a
counter going in your head for when you should punch it back to VFO-A to
work the station you found.  I will find 25 QSOs this way each Sprint
which saves me 25 times however many seconds I would have waited.  And,
there is no guarantee you would be the one to get through to the station
you are waiting for.

MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:  The calmer you are in this contest, the
better you will do.  Relax & have fun.  Don't be too quick to tune the
dial.

Maybe W4-Sprint-Master K1TO will dive in with some of his pointers.  I'de
sure appreciate it, since I've never beaten him in this contest.

73

Bill

SSC #1
------