[SECC] FW: Re: Contest Results

K9AY K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:34:48 -0500

> Personally, I don't see anything wrong with their proposal.  The PDF
> results on the ARRL web site are great.
>
> 73
> Bill
------------------
Yes, Bill, the web site results are great -- if you are already a contester!

The Web is great for finding what you want, but one of the jobs of a
magazine is to present information that the reader may NOT be looking
for.  A non-contester will never look up contest results on the web, but
he might browse through the published results and see a friend's call,
notice the number of DX stations that were active, admire the success of
the winners, become fascinated with the idea of working all 50 states in
one weekend, etc.

I do not envy the job of the ARRL in deciding where cuts must be made,
because the above statement also applies to public service, satellites,
VHF/microwave, QRP, antique radios, fox hunting, any any other
aspect of the ham radio hobby.

We might take some comfort from the fact that the people responsible
for the everyday operation of QST -- Mark Wilson K1RO and his
boss, Dave Sumner K1ZZ -- are active contesters. I am confident that
any advice they give to the board will be carefully thought out, with no
bias against contests.  I hope the Board will pay them heed.

73, Gary
K9AY