[SECC] name change

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:49:42 -0500

And a lot of people have "Bill" in their memories, computer or otherwise
for AA4LR. Unless you have a reputation for using weird names like K4OJ
does, you will probably lower your score by causing calls for repeats by
changing from Bill to George.  Of course, you do test the other ops'
ability some and only he will lose credit if he puts down the wrong
name, but I tried to use "John" from W4AN once and it was a bad
decision.  Got lots of calls for

repeats and a lot of the backscatter stations couldn't figure out if I
was really W4AN John Ga or W4AU John Va.  Go ahead and do it and see
what your conclusions are at the end.

One year I used K96BAI in the CQ WPX contest (CW) and, boy, was that a
mistake.  In spite of it's being a prefix contest, most of the guys who
appear to copy random numbers without repeats couldn't even guess what
the call was supposed to be.

73,

John, K4BAI.  P.S.  Archie, what about using something like "Mac" as
short for your last name?