[SECC] Southern Sprint Coalition (SSC)

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an@CONTESTING.COM
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:06:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello All!  I'll try to keep this short...

Name:  Southern Sprint Coalition
--------------------------------
Anyone have a problem with this name?  Please feel free to suggest
others.  I put very little thought in to it.

Purpose
-------
To win the CW Sprint team competition AND to place at least two teams in
the top-3.  Further, to activate as many people as we can in our area for
the contest.

History & Info
--------------
Someone (I think N2NL or W4PA) suggested that we pool resources among the
southern contest clubs to field a winning CW Sprint team.  The Feburary
2002 CW Sprint will be our dry run.  Although we W4's normally finish
higher in September, we expect to fulfill our mission the first time out.
We will arrange participants based on projected QSO totals.

In the early 1980s there was a similar group organized called the Midwest
Popguns.  I can remember being 19 years old, being on team #4 of 4, and
wanting nothing more in the world than to move up to team #3.  I hope this
effort will yield similar motivation for some here.

Help
----
I could use some help recruiting.  Please take some time and think of just
ONE person you could get on the air and try out the Sprint.  We need to
field four full teams.  We are a little short on team #4

Ranking
-------
These numbers were either taken from past scores or from numbers you sent
me.  PLEASE, if you are likely to make more QSOs this time or less QSOs
this time, please let me know.  For example, W4OC is turning on his
amplifier this time.  On low power, he is a 265 kind of guy.  I figure
with high power, he is more like 300.  Waiting to hear from you on that
prediction Don.

We have one "ringer" in K3MM.  But he is a member of the PVRC, so I think
that counts.   Our team #1 has the potential to break the all-time CW
Sprint team record score.

Splits based on numbers I have now...

W4AN	Bill	GA	350
W4PA	Scott	TN	350  @ K4JNY
K1TO	Dan	FL	350
N2NL	Dave	FL	325
K4BAI	John	GA	325  @ W8JI
N4AF	Al	NC	315
W9WI	Doug	TN	307
K3MM	Ty	MD	300
K4NO	Greg	AL	300
KT3Y	Phil	VA	296

K4RO	Kirk	TN	290
N4AO	Jeff	FL	285
N4ZZ	Don	TN	280
W4AU	John	VA	270
W5WMU	Pat	LA	265
K9AY	Gary	GA	263
W4OC	Don	SC	263
W4MR	Will	NC	263
K7SV	Larry	VA	250
N4ZR	Pete	WV	244

K4FXN	Dan	KY	240
K1KY	Tom	TN	225
K5KG	George	FL	225
W2CS	Gary	??	225
K9GY	Eric	VA	200 @ K4JA
WQ5L	Ray	MS	200
K4MX	Jeri	VA	194
K4MA	Jim	NC	184
N9GG	Bob	DE	125
AE4Y		GA	125

K0EJ	Mark	TN	103
KZ5D	Art	LA	100
WB6BWZ	Matt	GA	100
AA4LR	Bill	GA	100

Worth Mentioning
----------------
W5WMU turned in a banner Sprint score in one of his first efforts (to my
knowledge) in September.  Yes, Pat has a nice station... but the CW Sprint
is the one contest where station is not the key component.

This will be WB6BWZ's first CW Sprint.  Welcome to the group and the
contest Matt.

KZ5D will be at Mardi Gras this year.  WQ5L is in the same boat.  K4IQJ
has plans.  N4BP will be getting ready for the ARRL CW contest where he
will operate from C6A.

If you are new to the Sprint, please start
here:  http://n6tr.jzap.com/sprint.html.  Actually, anyone could benefit
from looking over this page.

73

Bill Fisher, W4AN