[SECC] GAQP from W4AN

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an@CONTESTING.COM
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:40:27 -0400 (EDT)

Had planned to give out a few QSOs between riding dirt bikes with my
son.  We managed to get back on Saturday in time for the start of the
contest.  I worked it fairly hard until (what I found out later) about 15
minutes before the flare hit.  About 1.5 hours after it hit, I got back on
the air to hear nothing on any band.  Wild.  Then I called CQ on 20
meters.  Took several trys before a DL answered my CQ.  Worked a few more
guys for about 45 minutes and then bagged it for dinner with the
family.  I had just a few minutes, later in the evening, to work 40 and 80
meters.  I wish I had some more time, but with the Helsinki trip last
week, I didn't want to test my XYL's patience.

Today I got on just a little.  Almost all on 20 meters.  I did manage to
work K5YAA in Oklahoma at about 11:00am on both 40 and 80 meters.  15
minutes later W5WMU called in, and Pat and I worked on all bands except
160 meters in about 5 minutes time.

On Saturday I spent a lot of time moving people to other bands.  10 meters
was wide open up north, but there was nobody home.  I would move someone
up there and after the QSO call CQ for a bit.  Every so often I would work
someone, but mostly not.  I did manage to bag quite a few states on 10
meters inspite of the low activity there.

I left the log on the computer up at the station.  TRLog wasn't keeping
track of mults for me, so I only know QSOs.... which was about 300.  All
on CW... of course.

73

Bill, W4AN