[SECC] GQP Weekend Change

K1to@aol.com K1to@aol.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:20:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/02 10:05:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
w4an@CONTESTING.COM writes:

> I think you (we) should seriously consider running it the same weekend as
>  the Florida QSO Party.   Best if you could get them to agree to join
>  forces and make it the Georgia/Florida QSO Party.  If not, then just run
>  it at exactly the same times.
>
>  I'm CCing K1TOad.  I'll see if he has any thoughts on this subject.

Bill et al -

While we Floridians applaud the growth of the GQP and wish to support
our brethren to the north, I see a few issues with combining the 'QPs:

1)  The 3- or 4-letter county abbrevs become inadequate.  I'm sure
a few county names overlap between states.  So, we'd be forced
into using nonintuitive abbrevs like they used for the W1 QP to
allow for IDing the correct state as well as the county.

2)  Several guys enjoy running counties in each state.  We would
dilute the mobile activity by forcing them to do both in one weekend.
I can just hear KN4Y and W5WMU moaning now!

3)  Being so close to each other, we'd cause additional havoc to
each other on the high bands where we just can't hear whether a
mobile might already have the freq.  It's bad enough within a
single state.  (Of course, the W4AN super station hears all and
is heard by all, so it is exempted from this point.)  The FQP has
roughly 90% daytime hours, so this could be a real issue.
Perhaps spreading out the suggested freqs could mitigate that,
though.

4)  Chasing a county sweep is becoming a big draw for the FQP.
(I suspect that there are too many counties in Ga for that to be a
realistic one-weekend goal.)  I like the fact that it can be done with
a focused effort from outside FL.  GM3POI claims a CW-only
sweep this year!  The CQP has what - 58 counties?
And the W1s have a total of 67, exactly the same number that we
have in FL.  Having the QSO Party supporters split their time
between working FL and GA reduces their chances of a sweep and
reduces their support for each QSO Party ultimately.  Less QSOs
for us in FL and GA = less fun.

5)  I've noted a few FCG internal comments that are not in
support of a combined weekend, so these are not purely my
views.

On the flip side, I can understand the increased excitement that
might be created by having more activity.  I would venture to guess
that the small QSO Parties in AL, NC would join a combined effort.
Maybe even the rest of 4-land would be quick to sign on.  I think
VA, TN and KY still have decent QPs, but not sure about SC.
But I digress...

Any further comments, anyone?  I hate to stir up another long thread
at a time when I can't catch up from the past month of threads - hi.

73, Dan, K1TO
President, Florida Contest Group and sponsor of the FQP