[SECC] SS Phone 2001

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:49:59 -0400

On 6/20/02 8:51 PM, Courtney Judd at k4wi@earthlink.net wrote:

>Maybe I am just not getting the idea here, but I have used a database for
>years with CT, NA and now with Writelog. It is called super partial call
>check. While it doesn't guarantee accuracy, it does help with call
>recognition.

Depends on how you use it. There are times when you don't quite copy a
call. SCP can be used to make an informed guess, but you still need to
confirm the call.

Experienced contestors do this anyway - they recognise calls that are
familiar. I can tell stories of K4BAI doing this to me while sitting
three chairs away at NQ4I's. He can tell a call is bad from the computer
screen -- he doesn't have to hear the audio.

>I don't think that this is cheating at all..

SCP isn't that close to cheating. But that's not what Ed was suggesting.
He was speaking of using a database for the EXCHANGE, not the CALL.

In all likelihood, using a database for the exchange would lead to just
as many errors as it would fix.

>cheating comes
>from outside help. I can always tell when I have been spotted in SS.. a big
>run from A and B precedents show up..

I would think they would all be U precedence....

How do you confirm you were spotted? Do you go back and look at cluster
logs for the spot?

I got some really good runs on 20m last year on SS Phone -- I don't think
I was spotted though, sometimes just he commotion of activity will
attract callers.

>Wonder why?.. My UBN for SS last year
>is as follows:
>
>Raw qso's=1111
>Dupes=2
>Busted Qsos=33
>Valid qso's =1076
>Penalty Qsos=4
>QSO points=2144
>Mults=80
>Score=171520
>error rate=3.0%
>
>number of busts in other logs=27 (2.5%)
>most of these had W4WI vs K4WI!!!

Gotta work on that error rate, Cort! Your callers have a lower error rate
than you do!

>I will be on again this fall both cw and ssb looking for another sweep!  cul

Now there's a worthy goal.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901