[SECC] Need advice

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:57:02 -0400

I am considering replacing my crank up tower.  I plan on keeping my 40 meter
beam (after doing repairs and maintenance) but my KT34X (very early XA) will
probably be replaced.  It works great on 10 and 20
but is marginal on 15 (at times I hear them much better on the 40 meter
beam).

Here is what I am considering:

1.  A Sommer XP80X.   The version I am looking at covers 20 to 10 including
17 and 12.  Its heavy and sometimes hard to work with but N4VZ did well with
his and I know KM1E likes his as well as a couple of W2's I hear on 17.
N4VZ was top of the pile on 12 and 17 and the antenna worked well on
10/15/20 as he did well in the CQ WW.   W4KJ has the smaller version.

2.   TH 11.   K4SB has(or had) one up and said it was gangbusters on 17 and
12 but weakest on 20 where the KT34X is tops.   I hear several Dx stations
 a 5B4 is very loud can't remember his call .. he is a G3 retired) using the
beam.

3.    KT36XA.  Several guys tell me the new version really improves 15 and
is better structurally and they plan on adding 17 and 12 (from K6MYC
himself).   I am using my 40 meter beam on 17 now and it works OK but lately
I have to bring up my Henry 2K (600 watts out) to be competitive after
working 340 countries with 100 watts. I have a W9PNE X beam on 12 but it
messes up 15 and 10 on the KT34X and I have the same problem with now having
to use high power (that Henry again) after nearly 300 countries with 100
watts.  The 40 meter beam and X beam do as well as the A3WS but I need more
antenna if I am going to change.

I have also considered Log Periodic but don't see any gain over the TH 11
for the 32 footer I have looked at.   No room for a second tower.  I had up
a stack of KLM Big Stickers when I first started at my current QTH but the
34X is as good (except on 15) and changing pleased the neighbors and the
wife.  I remember the hassle W8ZF went through with his stack.   I plan on
deciding on the antenna(s) and then deciding on which tower although I like
the system N4NX has up and also like the Trylon or AN Tower (self
supporting).

Comments/suggestions.

73 Dave K4JRB