[SECC] K4OGG, CWSS

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:01:34 -0800 (PST)

"2.4.3. Listening time counts as operating time."

Seems like this would be hard to prove. What if I got on at 1200Z(after
an off time) and didn't make a QSO that showed up in my log until 1205
Z. That's say that off time was at 11:35Z and you got back on at 1200Z
by accident (kind of what Jay did). You have NO know way of proving you
were operating from 1200z - 1205Z because it would not be reflected in
your log in any way.

Plus Jay could of been making his last QSO before he took his off time,
one minute before he logged it but because of entering the long
exchange it was not logged until a minute later.

The "2.4.3. Listening time counts as operating time" rule is ambigous
because all the SO2R and multi-ops are on more that one band at a time.
For SS you are not considered on a band unless you are transmitting.
When I used to operate SS at KW8N, we were basically M/M, but because
we had an octopus device, which prevented us from transmitting on 2
bands at the same time it was legal with the ARRL...

I bet 99% of everyone would edit their log. I respect Jay's honesty....

                 Jeff