[SECC] Re: plans

Sherman Banks (W4ATL) w4atl@arrl.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:15:42 -0500

Ouch.  Sorry to hear about the tri-bander. Made me check mine this morning!
We'll miss your annual great score, but the rest of us will try to pick up
the pace!

I will be single-op low power for the first time.  I usually do a multi-op
effort at W4AQL.  This year they are going to make a run in the 'S'
category, which leaves me out.

-----Original Message-----
From: secc-admin@contesting.com [mailto:secc-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of John Laney
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 9:15 AM
To: McKay; secc@contesting.com
Subject: [SECC] Re: plans

Hi Archie and gang:

I think the op ed piece in NCJ about clubs really applied only to clubs
that have many more members than we do.  For them, to stay in the medium
club category, they must keep their membership or number of entries
below a certain number.  We don't have that problem (yet).

Sorry to hear of your bronchitis.  It certainly will affect a phone
effort.  I'll hope to hear you on the low bands above 7225 or 3850, but
doubt there will be very much 40-meter activity during the first hours
of the contest unless the higher bands go dead.

I went home last night and, in light rain, got the 80-meter antenna
resonating about 3900 at last.  I thought I was set for ARRL SS Phone.
So, I hooked back up the Alpha 78 (I use the AL811H during non-contest
times so I can work the WARC bands with an amp.) and everything checked
out OK.  Just before the late 4RN net, I turned the tribander with its
new (rebuilt?) rotator south to call HC4T in Ecuador on 15 CW, but he
was only working JA stations on that band.  I had already worked him on
20 CW.  After 4RN, I went back to 15 with the thought of working some of
those many JAs that had been calling and working HC4T and the antenna
wouldn't turn from South.  And it is still stuck there today.  I called
my antenna man, but he has another job to do today and, besides, it is
raining.  So, he will probably change the new rotator out with the old
one he repaired after replacing it a few weeks ago sometime this week,
but that won't help SS.  I have no other antenna for 20 and 10.  I can
use the 40 meter dipole on 15, but it isn't a very good antenna on
either 40 or 15.  So, I will be in there trying to make contacts after
court adjourns today, but it won't be the big score or the fun I had
expected....unless the antenna somehow moves off south.  Not much to
work on 10, 15, and 20 in that direction (unless we get some openings
for backscatter on those bands, and the SS exchange makes backscatter
QSOs rather more difficult than the exchange in some other contests).

Hope no one had weather problems.  It was a mild passing front here,
with rain, but no wind or lightning, although they had severe storm
watches just across the river from us in Alabama.

73,

John, K4BAI.