[SECC] Feeding 160 Meter Antenna

Sherman Banks (W4ATL) w4atl@arrl.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:38:41 -0500

Well, I gave up on the inverted L.  My FT-920 could not tune it.  It would
tune it about 1.99 MHZ, but not below 1.9 MHz.  My guess is not enough
series capacitance and not a good ground.  My house is in the way of
stringing a long radial underneath the top of the  L.  I spread out the
radials all around the house and even attached to the chain link fence.
Finally ended up installing the G5RV in place of the L.  At least I can load
the G5RV.

Maybe next year...

-----Original Message-----
From: secc-admin@contesting.com [mailto:secc-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Dan/W4NTI
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 12:43 PM
To: Bill Coleman; Jeff Clarke; SECC
Subject: Re: [SECC] Feeding 160 Meter Antenna

>From my experience on 160 I think the trick is getting as much vertical
properties as possible.

Feeding a "T" will mean several excursions to get it right.  They tend to be
a bit touchy from what I recall.  Course it should play well.

FWIts worth department.  I put up a Inverted L,  about 190 foot total
length.  It goes up about 50 feet and out the rest.  Towards the north this
year.

My only ground is a 8ft copper rod and the ground return of my run of AC
line from the main house fuse box out to the shack.  Which is about 140 foot
from the box to the shack ground.

I use a 8 turn coil about 6 Inches across that hooks right to the base of
the antenna.  The shield, of course, goes to ground.  The length of RG-213
cable I ended up with was about 25 foot.  Nothing really measured.  Cut and
try mainly.

With NO TUNER I can adjust resonance anywhere in 160m by
lengthning/shortning the wire.

Give it a shot.  Worked for me in Ohio and two places here in Alabama,

See ya in the contest.

Dan/W4NTI   Alabama