[SECC] (no subject)

Michael Condon mcondon@attglobal.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:35:59 -0400

Hi,
It has been quiet of late.
With that in mind, I am proposing to change the GA QSO Party Dates to the
3rd week of October.
Below are the weeks that did not have any major contests. With out fiddling
with any rules, the best thing, and probably the easiest thing, we can do to
help the GQP is move the dates to a more favorable weekend.  See the WA7BNM
calendar snips below.
PROS:
We must update the published date each year on the web and in publications
anyway so a new date would be easy.
The change itself would be publicity.
Propagation is a lot better during the contest hours later in the year.
This is the Major benefit.  Much more participation will be had.
Less stress on the mobiles, not "July in GA", perhaps we will find a few
more out on the road.
Less "vacation" season dropouts, like me, will be out elsewhere with the
family.  (OK, my favorite reason, I confess)
CONS:
Date confusion possible at outset.
It takes some of us out of the contests on that weekend, but no "majors" are
happening then.  But the old weekend is open for other contests too.

My recommendation is to go with 3rd weekend of Oct, with IL QSO party.
Having two parties on same weekend has been mutually beneficial to both
states.  PA and GA are too close on phone and CW, confusion probable on some
Qs.  2nd Nov would be my alternate choice.
I offer this for general consideration, and for Jeff, our GQP officer, to
make the (possible) changes.  Early discussion on this could make Jeff's
work easier at publication time.
Just when it got quiet, this will get at least 75 emails going if the last
change recommendation is any example... hi.
What do you think?
73, Mike, NE4S

>From WA7BNM calendar:

2nd weekend of OCT:
Oceania DX Contest, CW  0800Z, Oct 12   -       0800Z, Oct 13
EU Autumn Sprint, CW    1500Z   -       1859Z, Oct 12
Pennsylvania QSO Party  1600Z, Oct 12   -       0500Z, Oct 13 and
        1300Z   -       2200Z, Oct 13
FISTS Fall Sprint       1700Z   -       2100Z, Oct 12
Iberoamericano Contest  2000Z, Oct 12   -       2000Z, Oct 13
North American Sprint, RTTY     0000Z   -       0400Z, Oct 13

3rd weekend of OCT:
JARTS WW RTTY Contest   0000Z, Oct 19   -       2400Z, Oct 20
ARCI Fall QSO Party     1200Z, Oct 19   -       2400Z, Oct 20
Worked All Germany Contest      1500Z, Oct 19   -       1459Z, Oct 20
Asia-Pacific Sprint, CW         0000Z   -       0200Z, Oct 20
RSGB 21/28 MHz Contest, CW      0700Z   -       1900Z, Oct 20
Illinois QSO Party      1800Z, Oct 20   -       0200Z, Oct 21

2nd weekend of NOV:
Japan Int. DX Contest, Phone    2300Z, Nov 8    -       2300Z, Nov 10
WAE DX Contest, RTTY    0000Z, Nov 9    -       2359Z, Nov 10
OK/OM DX Contest, CW    1200Z, Nov 9    -       1200Z, Nov 10
Anatolian ATA PSK31 Contest     1800Z   -       2400Z, Nov 9