[SECC] Weekend contests

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:57:00 -0400

Hello all:

In case any of you don't already check it weekly, as I do, you should
make a note of this URL:
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.html.
This gives you a synopsis of the important rules for all contests known
to Bruce, WA7BNM, and gives you a "jump" to the official rules where
they are available.  I think if you go to his general webpage there is
also a place where you can sign up to receive this info in an e-mail
every week, so you don't have to check the page yourself.

This weekend's big event for us is the NA Sprint CW, which runs from 00
to 04Z on Sunday UTC (Saturday night local).  It is on 20, 40, and 80
meters CW only and the exchange is QSO #, Name, and State.  S/P/NA
countries are mults one time only.  We will have a number of members
active on teams and I hope the others will also get on and have fun and
give out some QSOs.  W4AN will be announcing the team lineups shortly.

In addition, for the DX lovers out there, there are two international
contests.  The Annual All Asia SSB contest runs the full 48 hour weekend
period, 8 PM local Friday to Sunday.  Exchange is RS + age (or optional
"00" age for YL ops).  Most of the stations will be JAs, but there are
often rare Asia stations to be found.  Mults are Asian prefixes.

The other is the Region I Field Day SSB.  This is a HF contest running
from 13Z Sat to 13Z Sunday (9 AM EDT).  Exchange is RS + Serial No.
Region I is Europe, so you know there will be a lot of activity.  The
guys in the field over there appreciate every QSO just like we do in our
Field Day in June.  This could be a good warm up for the WAE SSB Contest
and the SAC (Scandinavian Activity Contests) that occur later this
month.

In addition, the WA7BNM page gives info on a PSK31 QRP Sprint and a 10
meter digital contest this weekend.  Should be something for everyone.

I also received in today's mail a reminder from W9WI that the annual
Tenn QSO Party is scheduled for Sunday Sept. 15.  You may recall that
they delayed it until December last year due to the tragic events of
9/11/01.  Tenn always turns out a lot of activity, both mobiles and
fixed stations.  Many of them are big stations that I can work even on
the higher bands where I don't get direct skip.  I am sure you can find
complete details on TQP on the WA7BNM site next week.  Let's support our
friends in Tenn who have been very supportive of our GQP over the past 4
years.  No doubt they would be glad if some Georgia mobiles crossed the
state line and gave out some rare counties.

73,

John, K4BAI.