[SECC] NA Sprint CW AA4LR LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:17:13 -0400

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   24     0.7
   40:   56     1.5
   20:   45     1.8
---------------------

Team: SS Sprint Coaltn #4

Comments:

Equipment:
TS430S, AT-250, Murch UT-2000A, 100 watts output.
Homebrew keyer
AE6Y Software

Antennas:
A3S @ 49.5 feet (20m)
40m 1/4 wave sloper @ 40 feet (40m)
80m doublet @ 35 feet (80m)

Comments:
Once again, Bill W4AN organised teams, and I volunteered. Since my last
outingnetted 75 Qs, I signed up for a repeat, but my real goal was to
break the 100 Qbarrier. I simply needed to maintain a rate of 25 Q/hr for
four hours. Easy, right? No. This is the sprint -- the hardest doggone
contest out there. And low power to boot.

First hour was slow with 23 Qs, but picked up 30 Qs int the second hour,
and 36 Q/hr the last two hours. I suppose I'm learning. W4ANs tips from
last year are still effective. Glad to finally be in 3-digit range.

Got annoyed on one occassion when someone answered my CQ at a slightly
faster speed than I was sending. He then ripped through the exchange, and
I got only part of the number and name. Here I am sending "NR" and he
starts a QSO with next guy. They seem oblivious to my "NR NR NR". Guys,
the QSO ain't over until the CQing guy sends something to acknowledge the
end. That effort will be rewarded with a Not-In-Log.

Interesting on the mults. I got 36, but many of the top scorers only got
42-44. Seems like I missed some easy mults like AL, KY, MI.

You know, a few years ago, many of the top ops did the sprint low-power.
While I don't expect them to do it again, it might be nice to try a
speed-limit sprint -- like 20-25 wpm max. I'm sure the top ops would fall
asleep, but it would be different.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901