[SECC] Stupid Question - Where to point Beam?

Jay Pryor jpryor at arches.uga.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:03:31 EST 2003

Bill,

I will be interested in learning what other folks who know a whole lot more
than me have to say about your question, but I'd say that you should start
in the obvious directions.  That is, toward EU in the morning of a DX
contest, toward JA around 4 p.m.  And for a domestic contest I usually go
with approximately 330 degrees.  If you don't hear what you expect to hear,
rotate.  If you hear stations you can work, stop and work 'em, as you did
the second night.  I must admit that I seldom try the odd directions and
perhaps my scores reflect that.  But I have never worked a single band
contest either (other than 160).

As a low power contester I do a great deal of S&P and there was a time I
worried about pointing the beam toward every station I wanted to work.  I'm
not so concerned any more.  I find that if the other station has a pretty
decent signal they will likely hear you when you call.  The exception is
the rare mult who has attracted a pileup.  In that case it is likely worth
the extra time to swing the beam around.

Now let's hear from those of you who know more about this.

73,

Jay/K4OGG