[SECC] Stupid Question - Where to point Beam?

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 2 09:56:23 EST 2003

The European "skew" path may also be open when the direct path is closed
at the end of an opening, particularly on 20 meters.

I made a lot of contacts stateside from NQ4I this past weekend
backscatter.  Beaming south on 10 and 15 meters particularly is very
effective for maximizing US signals from the North and Northeast.
Toward the late afternoon and evening, Southwest may be more effective.
Sometimes to work ZF, KG4 (Guantanamo), Cuba, Navassa, etc. it is
necessary to beam Northeast in the mornings and Southwest in the
evenings.

Bill Fisher says follow the sun and beam toward the sun when propagation
seems not to be present.  If you both beam toward the sun, you may make
contacts that would otherwise not be possible.  Generally, that is
effective in our afternoons when we beam west and get the other stations
to beam west also.

73,

John, K4BAI.