[SECC] Other contests at the same time as GQP

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 9 14:46:11 EDT 2003

Hello all:

There are a few other contests also at the same time as the Ga QSO Party
this weekend.  I thought it might be helpful for us to have some info on
these contests so if we run across someone in one of them or if somebody
calls us and wants an exchange for one of them we can know what to do.
All we will need from any of them would be RST and SPC and that
shouldn't be too hard to get, but the following summary will tell you
what to send to the other guys to help them also in their contests.

1.  European Sprint.  This will overlap only the first hour on
Saturday.  Exchange is both callsigns, serial number starting with 001
and name.  RS is not required.  It is SSB only and only on 80, 40, and
20.  So, 20 meters is the only possibility for a QSO.  I think the
suggested frequency is around 14260.  You guys with big beams at a home
station might work a few.  Contacts may be made only with Europeans from
here.

2.  Japan International DX Contest CW.  Starts at 07Z Saturday and runs
until 13Z Sunday, so it conflicts with our 10-hour period on Saturday.
the world can work Japan only stations.  Exchange is RST plus CQ zone
number...so we would send 59905.  Japanese stations send RST plus their
two digit Prefecture number.  Bands 3.5 through 28 mhz.  With good
conditions, we may work a JA or two from well equipped home stations.
You will receive RST and you may record JA or DX for their QTH.  You
will send them RST plus a number.

3.  QRP ARCI Spring QSO Party.  This runs 12Z Saturday until 24Z Sunday,
so it runs all the hours of our contest.  Exchange is RST, SPC, ARCI
number or power.  So, if you work one, you will get RST and SPC (state,
province, country) and you will send everything they will need except
your QRPARCI number if you have one or your power output.  Activity will
center around the usual QRP frequencies, 3560, 7040, 14060, 21060,
28060.  This is CW only.

Hope everyone will get on as much time as you possibly can this weekend
to really put Georgia on the map and to make the QSO party fun for
everyone.

A suggestion:  Georgia stations should do more than just answer CQs by
stations calling CQ GA.  Call your own CQs from Georgia and get your own
pileups going, small or large.

Another suggestion:  Try to avoid using the same frequencies of Ga QRP
or mobile stations.  If you are a strong fixed station and you hear or
sense that a Ga QRP or mobile station is on or near your frequency, try
to give them a bit of room.  Some contests suggest that mobiles try a
bit lower than the suggested frequencies and fixed stations try higher
than the suggested frequencies.  We have not (I don't think) made that
suggestion, but it is an idea that you might follow.

Note that three of our SSB frequencies suggested are on the edge of the
General class bands on 75, 40, and 15.  So, to give the General class
guys a chance, if you have run below that limit for a while and the rate
drops down, see if you can find a frequency up in the General Class band
to try for a while.  K8KFJ has previously suggested that these be
changed, feeling that the frequencies eliminate him and other Generals
from the competition.  We probably should change some of the
frequencies, but have not done so as yet.

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

73,

John, K4BAI/M.