[SECC] Break down K4BAI/M GQP 2003

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 15 19:03:15 EDT 2003

Hello guys:

You may not be as interested as I was in a breakdown of our QSOs from
the 42 counties last weekend.  If that is the case, just hit the delete
button.  But this breakdown should give you a better idea of the fun you
can have with a good mobile installation (at least on CW) in a state QSO
party.  I think similar results might be possible from a SSB mobile, but
better and more power might be required.  We don't seem to generate as
much interest among SSB contesters, but there is a greater chance to get
calls from non-contesters on SSB if you have a very good signal, than on
CW, where the number of callers is sort of self-limited.
			QSOs
County		Abbrev	40	20	15	10	Total	Mults	Mins
Muscogee	MUSC	17	39	6	0	62      23	38 (1)
Chattahoochee	CHAT	0	29	4	0	33      18	15
Stewart		STWT	0	34	2	0	36	17	23
Randolph	RAND	0	33	5	0	38	19	22
Quitman		QUIT	0	26	7	0	33	19	13
Clay		CLAY	0	30	4	1	35	15	23
Earley		EARL	0	41	2	2	45	18	35
Miller		MILL	0	30	4	0	34	18	15
Seminole	SEMI	0	38	4	1	43	19	16
Decatur		DECA	0	40	6	1	47	18	33
Grady		GRAD	0	49	8	0	57	28	49
Thomas		THOM	0	42	5	0	47	23	24
Mitchell	MITC	0	48	0	0	48	22	21
Baker		BAKR	0	34	0	0	34	20	15
Calhoun		CALH	33	28	0	0	61	27	39
Terrell		TERR	31	61	0	0	92	32	47 (2)
Webster		WEBS	30	18	0	0	48	24	23
Sumter		SUMT	37	3	0	0	40	25	37
Schley		SCHL	28	0	0	0	28	17	13
Marion		MARI	36	0	0	0	36	22	28
Talbot		TLBT	20	24	0	0	44	21	32 (3)
Harris		HARR	0	22	0	0	22	15	27
Taylor		TAYL	0	13	10	0	23	11	24
Crawford	CRAW	0	11	10	0	21	12	10
Peach		PEAC	0	12	12	0	24	13	12
Macon		MACO	0	15	10	0	25	12	15
Houston		HOUS	0	15	5	0	20	11	15
Dooly		DOOL	0	24	6	0	30	16	14
Crisp		CRIS	0	29	10	0	39	17	33
Turner		TURN	0	34	7	0	41	15	18
Tift		TIFT	0	33	12	0	45	19	39
Berrien		BERR	0	35	5	0	40 	16	25
Cook		COOK	0	36	16	0	52	18	24
Lanier		LANI	0	44	14	0	58	21	55
Clinch		CLCH	0	33	3	0	36	16	20
Echols		ECHO	0	39	10	0	49	21	22
Lowndes		LOWN	0	65	15	0	80	25	66
Brooks		BROK	0	49	8	0	57	22	26
Colquitt	COLQ	0	63	7	0 	70	24	51
Worth		WORT	0	52	5	0	57	25	19
Dougherty	DHTY	0	50	1	0	51	23	19
Lee		LEE	0	62	2	0	64	26	26

All			232	1383	225	5	1845	40     1121(4)

(1)  We were in Muscogee three times.  We started here and ended here
Sat night and started out here again Sunday AM.
(2)  We were in Terrell twice.  We went through after nightfall Saturday
and ended up here at the end of the contest on Sunday.
(3)  We were in Talbot twice. We were there near the end Saturday night
and then again fairly early Sunday.
(4)  Note the total hours counted by the computer seems to be 18.68
hours.  Therefore, the total per county is about right, but the averages
for the entire contest must be considered by dividing by 1200 minutes.
The 79 minutes not actually allocated to a county must have been
involved with adjusting the antenna and antenna tuner, taking gas
breaks, and a few rest stops.  I tried to maximize air time by eating
while moving (while driving actually) and Jeff stopped to eat.  However,
while Jeff was eating, I was operating, so that didn't really cost us
any time.  I guess we lost a minute or two between each county by
exiting one computer program and bringing up another (all 42 files were
prepared ahead of time) and sometimes trying to reestablish a running
frequency.  We did QSY whenever we could tell from QRM that we and
another GA station were on the same frequency.  But we could never
really hear the other GA stations except on 40 meters.  We kept to
within about 5 khz up and down from the published frequencies, probably
more often on the high side than the low side for no apparent reason.

Now, let's plan for next year.

73,

John, K4BAI.