[SECC] Mast Pipe

k4sb k4sb at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 15:52:48 EDT 2003

Fred Dennin wrote:

> I am familiar with the availability of chrome moly mast pipe at Texas Tower and a few others but wondered if anyone knows of  a source locally?  I am looking for a section of pipe that is 21 to 24 feet in length, yield strength of about 90,000 psi, and wall dimension of .18 to .25.  The shipping from Texas Tower for one piece was estimated to be as much as $150.  That's what I'll pay if I have to but wanted to first see if anyone knew of a local source.

I would suggest you go ahead and order it from TT. Cost is a bitch, but
if you get the 1/4" wall, it has a yield strngth of over 140,000 lbs.
And by all means. get the 24'.

Be absolutely sure you put a thrust bearing on the top of the tower!
That sucker is heavy!

I sure hope you have a crankover tower, or haven't started the tower. If
you haven't started the tower, ( other than the ground piece, be sure
you insert the mast BEFORE you add sections above 10' or so. That thing
is too heavy to be man handled by even 2 people on the top of a tower.

IF the tower is fixed, and already up, you will need to cut a side bar
about 2' above the total length of the
tower. You can then insert it and then place a similar piece of bar
across the cut, and secure it with BIG
clamps!

A normal Rohn gin pole will NOT handle this weight.

73
Ed