[SECC] SECC: Changes?

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Tue Dec 9 08:49:08 EST 2003

On 9 Dec 2003 at 7:58, Kent McCorkle wrote:

> What is the real problem that the SECC is facing?  The
> only one that I've seen mentioned is lack of
> participation.  I'm a believer in identifying and then
> correcting the root causes of issues, rather than taking
> a shot-gun approach to problem solving.

I agree, although I'm not sure there is a problem at all,
other than the normal ebb and flow some folks' contest
actvity has.

I do think it's a good idea to get every contester in our
area involved in the SECC to the extent possible, and doing
follow-ups like are being done now after each contest is a
good thing.

As are "rah-rah" postings to encourage activity among
members we already have, pre-contest.

> I fail to see the linkage between rewriting by-laws and
> membership requirements and increasing levels of
> participation.

I agree.

> While I'm confident that all of the well-known,
> well-established contest clubs are excellently run
> organizations, I don't believe that they were the model
> that the founders of the SECC had in mind when they
> created our club.  Personally, I don't see any
> compelling reason to attempt to re-create ourselves in
> their image.

Kent does a much better job expressing this thought than I
did.  Thanks.

> If the by-laws of the SECC were to be modified requiring
> attendance at meetings, I would probably fail to qualify
> for continued membership.  It's not that I'm opposed to
> meetings or am anti-social, it's just that I (like many
> of you) have family, work, and other commitments that
> keep me very busy.  Shame on me, but I haven't been to a
> hamfest in years for this same reason.

Nor have I.

> Regardless of where these discussions lead, I will
> continue to participate in contests.  I'd like very much
> to continue to do so as a member of the SECC as it
> existed when I joined.

So would I.

The concept of the non-club club was (and still is) very
foreign to a lot of folks.  I think when we first started,
it required an adjustment in the way people think about a
"club".  Unfortunately, most of the folks who were active
at the inception and really understood this best are no
longer active.

Like Kent, I like contests, and operate them when I'm able.
 I would like to contribute whatever points I generate to
the SECC, but with the least overhead possible.

Those are my thoughts, carry on.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA