[SECC] Remember when...?

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 9 10:39:42 EST 2003

  The SECC is also a prime example that the "paper club" method is not the way to go. We have probably about 100 members on the SECC roster and my guess is that 3/4 of them have not been involved in the club in any way in the past year.
(or even longer) We all have other interests, activities , and family obligations that will not allow us to participate in every club activity during the year. But if someone has not participated in a year or more that tells me they have just plain lost interest.  Why is this ???  I think it all points to the leadership. They need to find ways to keep people interested. If we don't set goals such as trying to maybe win the club competition in a certain ARRL contest or maybe organize a bunch a mobiles during the GQP to blanket the state...  these are just examples of fun acitvities.... we are setting up for failure as a club.

  Since the ARRL has basically removed the meeting requirement we can hold  meetings just for fun. My guess is everyone who travels to Dayton goes to the contests suites and enjoys hanging out with fellow contesters. That's what an occational meeting could do for us - but just at a local level.
I am in total agreement about not having formal meetings.

  I was a member of Mad River for 25 years and I have seen the highs and the lows with them. In some of my past emails I had some suggestions on things to try to increase participation - from those past experiences. I know they will work...

                       Jeff