[SECC] KB4KBS makes an effort at ARRL10M

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 15 14:55:01 EST 2003

            ARRL10M Score Summary Sheet

       Start Date : 2003-12-13

    CallSign Used : KB4KBS
      Operator(s) : KB4KBS

             Band : 10M
            Power : LOW
             Mode : SSB
Overlay Category : ROOKIE
Default Exchange : GA
       Gridsquare : EM74sc

       Name : Scott Straw
       ARRL Section : GA
        Club/Team : South East Contest Club
          Software: N1MM Logger V2.2.7

       Band  Contacts      Mult     Score
       ----  --------     -----     -----
         28       118        44     10384
      Total       118        44     10384

     ** Note that the number of contacts includes dupes **

      Final Score : 10384

              Rig :  TS-120S

         Antennas :  Hustler with 10M resonator

          Soapbox :
On Saturday I hooked up the TS-120S to a Hustler with a 10M resonator and a
tuner, then
sat in my van with an extension cord running to an exterior AC outlet at
the Fire Station.
It was cold and windy in the AM, cold and wet in the PM.  Fortunately we
only had one call
and a lunch run to interrupt my operating time.  Saturday's total was 73
contacts and 35
multipliers in 6 hours. Most painful miss: KH7U - HI (tried for 20+
minutes)  Best Consolation
Prize: NA5S - NM (only 15 minutes for him). Most Thrilling Multiplier: tie:
ID and SK. First station
worked: NQ4I.

On Sunday, I realized that the contest was for 48 hours, not 24, so I got
out there again after church
and made 45 more contacts, and added 9 more multipliers in 3 more hours.  I
operated from 2
different locations, home and the parking lot of church.  I plugged in to
120VAC, so I guess I really
don't qualify as a mobile station. I got BC, OR and ND on Sunday.  I heard
MB, but missed him.

All in all it was a good event for me considering my provisional station
and busy schedule. It also
made me realize how much I enjoy the challenge of contesting.  I just wish
I had a better setup.

Thanks to the guys at SECC for tolerating my hanging around the message
board like a wide-eyed
newbie.  I have learned a lot from reading about your exploits and your
tales of woe.