[SECC] RE: RTTY

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 21:05:57 EST 2003

OK, I forgot my own axiom: " The first liar doesn't stand a chance!"

Seriously, it's nice to hear the old memories. I guess I started in
RTTY in 1967. First
with a Model 19 ( tape machine & all ) and then what I think was a
Model 23. The full size deluxe edition. Built the demodulator....an
ST6?... from QST or somewhere.

Heck, a couple of us even had the machines wired up on 2 meters using
OUR 'beanie" net
of 147.5. My best buddy at the time and I kept updates of all the
countries we needed with each other, and we would send those back and
forth. I think in those days we had to id at the end of each
transmission, and I even built a "diode matrix" id er from QST.
Took a long time to get that matrix right, but it was finally sending
K4SB, so wired it into the FM input of the rig. Also wired it to a
timer circuit, and set it so it would ID about every 8 minutes. Didn't
matter if the machine was sending RTTY or not it just broke in.

Just like now, no need to listen to audio, so it was turned all the
way down.

Only problem is the blooming "matrix" blew a diode and Lord only knows
what I was sending. Our "friends" were nice enough to send me a nice
little "pink" slip asking what the hell was going on. About that time,
I turned the volume up, told the thing to "id" and "garbage in,
garbage out" became a new saying.

Only one of those I have ever gotten.

Finally sold the thing to so W6 in LAX. Somehow he convinced me to
ship it with his only paying 50% of the $$. Next thing I knew he was
complaining about everything and refusing to send the rest of the
money, and demanding $ if I wanted it shipped back. Poor fellow
didn't know that "buddy" of mine worked for Delta. So, a couple of
their ramp rats dropped by his house and said "Money or the machine".
Wound up taking the machine which was in perfect order. Those guys put
it on a DC8 or something, and the next thing I know Bob wants to know
what the hell to do with it. Pardon me if I omit what I said.

Happy new year guys ( and dolls ), it's sure nice to have a bunch of
friends like you.

73
Ed