[SECC] Announcement from ARRL HQ on BeacoNet

jshort at mindspring.com jshort at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 11 21:08:33 EST 2003

John (and everyone else),

	I looked this up on the Net.  Hopefully, I can explain it well...

	BEACONet uses two modes: AX.25 and PSK31 in a way to
determine "real-time" propagation.  On specific frequencies
(currently 20 & 10 meters, 50 & 144 MHz), BEACONet stations
transmit a location tag, which not only contain Callsign and Grid
Locator... but also things like how much power and the type of
antenna that is being used.
	Anyone that has the proper software (and listening
equipment) can decode the signals... which places an icon on a
world map designating their location.

	Another way that I see it... its like the Verizon "Can you hear
me now?" commercials... except with a "purpose".
	Granted, I don't have some of the experience that most of
you do with the contests... but I don't understand the rules
interpretation.  To me... this would seem like it should be treated like
PacketCluster.  Then again, maybe it is... and I am just misreading
things.

Jeff