[SECC] Web Access for the KS4Q DX Cluster

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 31 07:57:17 EST 2003

Ernie,

I have watched with interest your progress on this noble and benevolent task of providing cluster access to the area.  I applaud and commend your efforts.

I too, have engaged in a similar effort.  I, as a volunteer with the Roswell Fire Department, wanted to put the audio from the dept. radios on the web so that it could be remotely accessed.  I did this with a couple of free software programs a spare machine, and a trunking scanner.  My site is http://www.roswellgafire.audio-stream.com:8000.  I leased the domain name from Deerfield.com for a whopping $19.95/yr.

I too, have the "colon issue" (and although I'm on a ADSL circuit, it has nothing to do with lack of fiber).  I see that you are moving / have moved your port for security reasons.  I am an ambitious appliance operator, and really don't have any idea about the exposure I am opening myself up to with my particular port selection - it was the default, and I didn't fight it.

I'd be open to any advice or council you might provide on the security aspects of port 8000, and what I might do to provide a better veil of security.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Straw,
KB4KBS

Note to all SECC:  After being a "lurker" for several years, I'm now at a point in my life where I can finally attempt to get on the air with a TS-160, a RS 10Mtr, and an attic dipole antenna for the 20-10-15 bands.  Individual notes of advice and encouragement are welcome.  Also, what would be a good contest for a true first timer (excepting Field Day) to get my feet wet on?  My target is to be on the air by March 1.