[SECC] CQ WW VHF

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 21 13:46:40 EDT 2003

With my 40 meter beam pointed west and my 4 el on the chimney pointed NE I
did not find much activity.  Best opening was to Florida which was worked
off the back of the 4 el.   Never did hear a single W1 to 3.  Worked a few
W0's and 5's plus one W6.  Only DX heard was an EH7 and IW5 but they could
not hear me (the Italian got Radio Bravo but went on to work a W1 who I
could not hear).

The day before I worked a page of VE, W1, W2, W8, W9 but they were not
readable during the contest although the Florida stations were working them.
Did hear NJ2F weakly but suspect he was in Florida.  Only locals worked were
K4EA and W4WA.  Ground wave was weak unless beams were pointed at each
other.  I did work 3 other Norcross area hams.   Heard W4GF but he was
hunting DX.

I think I logged 29 stations all total in 2 hours of tuning on Saturday and
one hour on Sunday while working on the CQ 160 logs.

73 Dave K4JRB