[SECC] RE: NCVEC Files FCC Petition to End Code

Tom Drake tbdrake at charter.net
Thu Jul 31 14:24:55 EDT 2003

The National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators is composed of 14
organizations.  Included are ARRL,  W5YI, CAVEC-Huntsville, AL, Jefferson
Amateur Radio Club-New Orleans,  W4VEC-Highpoint,  NC,  Western Carolina
Amateur Radio Society VEC-Knoxville,  TN,  Milwaukee Radio Amateurs
Club-Milwaukee,  and others around the US.

They are responsible for the format and the content of the tests. (read
Question Pool).  Some of the VE testing groups have caught deserved hell for
questionable or even fraudulent testing practices. The FCC has entrusted us
as the gatekeepers of the hobby.  Public service events and VE tests are the
public's  "first impression"  of amateur radio.  How much are you doing to
screen the incoming hordes?

I'm admittedly a poor CW contester,  but I have been an active ARRL VE since
1984 and no slugs got in on my watch except by luck.